The College Library was started with a meager collection in a congested room in 1978 and was initially looked after by one Lecturer in-charge. Since 1985 the library has been single-handedly managed by the Library Assistant.With the appointment of a full-fledged College Librarian enjoying UGC pay-scale in 2005 the library has been managed by the Librarian with 3 (three) supporting staff. The Govt. Serchhip College library is thus marching forward so as to achieve its objectives as well as to cater the changing, increasing and diversified information needs of the users.
As per the preferences laid down by the educational experts the College has fortunately a separate library building measuring a plinth area of 2112 Sq.feet The library building was constructed with the financial assistance received from the UGC during IX Plan.It has also been extended and renovated during XI Plan with the assistance from the same agency.The building is centrally located within the Campus which is easily approachable from various directions.It is also extendable both horizontally and vertically so as to accommodate both the growing users and library resources for many years to come.
Staff strength : The library headed by the College Librarian has been managed by the following staff :
- Library Assistant (M.L.I.Sc.M.Phil. Degree holder ) – 1
- Photocopier Operator – 1
- Casual Employee – 1
Library Committee : In compliance with the norms of the UGC and guidelines of the affiliating University the Library Advisory Committee has been constituted with the following members to oversee the development of the library.
Chairman : Principal
Secretary : College Librarian
Members : All heads/Representatives of the Faculty departments
Collection : The library is developing its collection on various subjects with the financial assistance from the UGC and a meagre sum of library fees collected from the students as mentioned below :
No of books – 14677 vols
No. of Academic Journals subscribed – 22
No. of National Magazines subscribed – 3
No. of Local Newspapers subscribed – 4
Technical Processing : All the library books have been classified according to Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) 20th.Edition and cataloged using Anglo-American Cataloging Rules (AACR-II).
Library Services/facilities : The library provides for the following services for its member users:
- Circulation service
- Reference service
- Reprographic service
- Separate Reading circle for teachers and students.
- Broadband Internet facilities for the users.
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
Library Equipments : The library has now been equipped with the following :
- Steel bookcase – 76 Nos.
- Journal Display Rack – 2 Nos
- Reading Table – 22 seaters.
- Cubicles – 20 seaters
- LCD Destop Computers – 8 Nos
- Hp Laptop – 1 No.
- Laser Printer – 3 Nos.
- Sharp Photocopier – 2 Nos.
- Night vision Security Camera (CCTV) – 4 Channels
- Sharp Fax Machine – 1 No
- Lamination machine – 1 No
- Barcode Laser Scanner – 1 No.
- STD telephone connection( for Librarian) – 1 No.
- Broad band Internet Connectivity – 1 No.
- Property Rack – 20 racks
- Electrified Water Cooler for Students – 1 No.
Library Automation : Library automation has become inevitable due to changing information environment and rapid development of ICT in the field of library services and as such the College library has now been computerized. All the library books and Library Cards have been computerized and barcoded by using SOUL 2.0 (Library Management Software) developed by the INFLIBNET,Ahmedabad leading to an easier day- to- day library transactions.
Library Security : The four-channel and night vision Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) has been installed inside the library covering all corners as a security measure for library documents.
UGC-INFLIBNET N-LIST : Under this programme all the Faculty members have been provided Login ID by the library so as to access 138521 e-books and 6328 e-journals free of cost under the UGC-INFLIBNET N-LIST Programme.
Co-curricular and academic activities of the Librarian : Apart from the Library Committee Pu Lalthanzama Ralte,College Librarian has been involved in various co-curricular activities of the College as mentioned below:
2.Member,College Development Committee,
4.Member,Internal Quality Assurance Committee
5.Member,RUSA Project Monitoring Unit
Pu Lalthanzama Ralte, College Librarian as an academic staff attended and participated in the following Seminars,Workshops,etc during 2012 -16 :
- INFLIBNET Regional Training Programme on Library Automation (IRTPLA) during 30th.April – 4th.May,2012 at Govt.Hrangbana College,Aizawl
- UGC-Sponsored Refresher Course in Library and Information Science during 29th.March – 18th.April,2013 at Mizoram University.
- UGC-Sponsored Short Term Course on Computer Application during 10th-15th.March,2014 at Mizoram University.
- UGC-Sponsored National Seminar held during 29-30 October,2014 at the Govt.Aizawl North College and presented a paper ‘Need for Library automation in the Colleges of Mizoram : Problems and Prospects’
- UGC-Sponsored Refresher Course in Library and Information Science during 18th.Nov.-08th.December,2014
- UGC-Sponsored Workshop on Library Automation using SOUL 2.0 during 7th.11th.July,2015
- UGC-Sponsored Short Term Course on Digital Library and e-Resource Management during 17th-22.August,2015 at Mizoram University.
- National Workshop-cum-Training Programme on Knowledge Organization during 26th.30th.October,2015
- UGC-Sponsored National Seminar on ‘Role of Libraries in Changing Society:Problems and Prospects’ during 17th.-18th.March,2016 and presented a paper on ‘Role of YMA in the promotion of library services in Mizoram’
STATISTICS (as on 12.8.2016)
- Total Number of book volume : 11735
- Total Number of titles : 4068
- Computerised database cataloque ; 10175
- Total Number of barcoded documents : 10175
- Average No. of daily visitors (2012-16) :
2012 : Teachers : 5
Students : 52
2013 : Teachers : 8
Students : 58
2014 : Teachers : 12
Students : 64
2015 : Teachers : 12
Students : 73
2016 : Teachers : 10
Students : 75
- Average No. of daily books issued (2012 -2016) :
2012 : 32
2013 : 36
2014 : 37
2015 : 56
2016 : 62
- Average No.of books returned (2012-2016) :
2012 : 24
2013 : 25
2014 : 34
2015 : 39
2016 : 41
- Collection development (2012-2016)
2012 : 10113
2013 : 10571 + 458 vols
2014 : 10860 + 489 vols
2015 : 11118 + 258 vols
2016 : 11730 + 612 vols
- E-Resources under UGC INFLIBNET N-LIST
- e-books : 138521
2. e-journals : 6328